Chitika Ad

Monday, July 16, 2012

TV Pilot Hell - An Introduction

Cartoon by Christopher McElfresh

It seems to be par for the course these days. We get a heavily-promoted TV premiere and it just turns out to be derivative, boring or just bad. This is really bad from my perspective since I prefer well-written drama (or comedy/drama) and despise reality television and seeing how the latter is the only thing on anymore, I've more or less given up on TV. Still, I do check out many of the pilots as they air to see if there is anything else worth watching this coming season. So far, for 2012, the answer is a resounding “no”.

TV Pilot Hell is my journey through these dreadful pilots and an explanation of why they, and television as a whole, generally blows. So, I will open with a pilot that is still very new, and if you actually watched it, fairly fresh on your mind. TNT has become the home for drama (I guess...) and the occasional decent show, like Leverage, is cut between a stupid new reality show and a number of bad cookie-cutter cop shows. One such run-of-the-mill fail fest is Perception, a new show for 2012 that promises to be TNT's latest “quirky cop show”. Yeah, and I'm not a judgmental prick with too much time on my hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment